The problem with #1 is, first its a bit ugly, second you discard every
persistent instance in each cycle (which is less efficient than #2 or
#3), third you lose the advantages of working & passing POJO's between
pages, Like you would call 'new ProfilePage(person.getId())' instead of
'new ProfilePage(person))' and retrieve the person from database again
in the profile page. As Nathan said, despite the disadvantages, it's the
easiest and the most straight forward, and mostly adapted to the old MVC
style of web programming.
With wicket, I would like to pass objects around to pages and methods,
keep them in memory during the unit of work, and persist the changes at
the end. The problem is I make a new Hibernate Session in each request
cycle, so I have to re-attach the objects from the previous cycle to the
new Hibernate Session each time (as in #2). This can get quite
cumbersome and would easily get out of control.
With all that said , I guess I'm alone in this case and everybody agrees
on using #1. Still if anybody has any experience with #2 or #3, I would
be happy to know about it.

Iman