> I don't think it is *that* less efficient. Attaching those objects
> likely means refreshing them too, so the only gain you would have is
> the creation of objects, and those few instances wouldn't even be
> noticable, while the extra session size of #2 might be.

What I meant was mostly efficiency in terms of database calls, where #1
would trigger some SQL SELECT's to retrieve the object from database,
but in #2 & #3 an update would be triggered only if there are changes to
the object when flushing the session. A version check can also be
applied if the POJO is versioned.
> Did you try to make a generic model for what you want? That model
> should be able to access the current hibernate session, and on attach,
> where #1models load using the id set in that model, here they would
> just refresh the object they have.

I attach the objects I need to the ThreadLocal Hibernate Session in call
to onAttach(). But there are problems. I attach an object using
Session.lock() and the lock will cascade through the object graph,
attaching associated objects depending on the cascade mode I define for
them. However if I traverse the object graph opposite the cascade
direction, I'll run into problems. For example I define lock cascade
from Parent -> Children and re-attach a child, the parent wont get
attached. So if I call child.getParent().getAddresses() the address
collection wont be initialized and I get a lazy exception. Also I had
issues with re-attaching serialized objects ending up having two objects
with the same id in session. Although #2 and #3 are prettier than the
first, I guess unless somebody finds a good solution to all these
problems, we have to live with the ugly #1 ;-)

Iman