Thank you all for replying.

I thought Gwyn's reply was closest to the money - maybe the dtd was to blame
as there was a slight difference between the examples.

So I removed the data type definition from the wicket page. Alas, no
improvement.

In the end I went to a good layout resource
(http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html) and made
a couple of changes to my CSS thus:

body{
text-align:center;
}

#wrap{
color:#404040;
width:970px;
margin:10px auto;
text-align:left
padding:0;
}

Wicket wasn't to blame, after all it's strength lies in its strict
separation of html content and java code.

Todays score:

Wicket 1 : Internet Explorer 0