I had thought that I indicated the panel needed to respond to the Ajax
onSubmit() via target.addComponent() -- but then I'm still figuring
out how some of these pieces fit together.  I do update the model
underlying the cart panel in the onSubmit() method of the form,
however I'm not sure how to get the cart panel to display its changed
model without target.addComponent(cartPanel)

 public void onSubmit(AjaxRequestTarget target, Form f) {
   target.addComponent(theCartPanel);
   ModalWindow.close(target);
 }