It is actually quiet a bit different.

all visited pages except the most recent are saved to disk instead of being
held in session. the session now only holds the most recently accessed page.
the pages saved on disk are only needed when the user uses the back button,
which is probably not that often.

the advantages are that only the current page is held in session - so the
session size is significantly reduced. since disk is pretty much "unlimited"
you have as much back button support as you want.

disadvantages being that fail over is harder unless the disk is shared
between the cluster nodes. the disk can always be replaced by a database as
well. the whole idea is relatively new and we have yet to explore its full
potential.

this is of course only the default behavior and the whole thing is still
easily configurable.

-igor

On 12/14/06, Nathan Hamblen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ryan wrote:
> [...]
> 1. Session support. Many other web frameworks do not use sessions out of
> the box. Wicket uses the session extensively to store the render state
> of most renders. This leads to a large session and if you are not
> careful a VERY large session. I understand Wicket 1.3 will address this
> however for the time being this is an important issue to be aware of
> when evaluating Wicket ( for instance the simple act of using Link to
> create a link that executes java code when clicked causes the entire
> page and children to be stored in the session).

I don't think that will be any different in 1.3, for a standard Link.
You want the magic, you gotta pay for it. The good thing is that landing
pages and major entry points (that are bounce-heavy anyway) can soon be
done in Wicket without opening unused sessions. You can make as many
pages/links bookmarkable and stateless as you need to. So  using Wicket
site-wide will be a lot easier argument to make, and we'll never have to
write JSPs again! Yay!

(An entirely stateless Wicket app would be, in my mind, throwing out the
baby...)

Nathan