Thanks Johan, this explanation is crystal clear! Very interesting stuff
indeed.

Regards,
Francis

You can do what every you want.
in Wicket1.3/2.0 you don't have only the choice of what we have now
(SecondLevelCache or the 1.2.x way of doing things)
No you can be in control what to do with the pages that are falling out of
the pagemap.
The pagemap only hold 1 page anymore, so session are very light weight.

But the second level cache has this constructor:

public SecondLevelCacheSessionStore(final IPageStore pageStore)

This is the default IPageStore we use:

WebApplication.newSessionStore()
{
        return new SecondLevelCacheSessionStore(new FilePageStore());
}

And that FilePageStore is the one that saves all pages to the "
javax.servlet.context.tempdir " per sessionid.
And deletes all of them when a session gets unbound.

So if you only want X pages stored to disk. Implement your own IPageStore
or extend FilePageStore and re implement the storePage(String sessionId,
Page page) method.

If you want real replication then make a DatabasePageStore that is storing
pages to a shared database
I am thinking about adding this one to core that can be configured by
giving it a JDNI context or something like that.
When you have this then pages are being able to get from any app server
(even after one dies)

i would always use a sticky session clustering solution with a buddy
system for app server clustering
But if one fails then in the current situations if you don't share the
disk then yes the back button doesn't work
So if you have a web app and one server dies. and a session goes to the
other one. If at that time so the next request
the user does use the back button then there will be an expired page
exception. But if he doesn't use the back button
and just goes on he won't notice anything.
So in my eyes this is a solution that covers it all pretty much. It is not
100% when the back button is used on a crash
but for the rest everything works. So how much do you want exactly? More?
Implement your own IPageStore
or use a shared disk.

johan