one per resource will i think not really change.

johan

On 2/1/07, beboris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We will, when we are on production. Now that we are are still in alpha we
prefer "development" (hey, we wrote our first line of wicket code 5-6
weeks
ago!)

Also, even in deployment mode 'lsof' still shows us a lot of open files
(one
per resource) if we don't unpack resources from the .jar . It may be
smaller
number than in development mode, but still... I imagine your "workaround"
would close those unnecessarily open files.

If you can't backport it, please, tell me where it is in SVN. We'll "hack"
it in oursleves for now...

Bob

Johan Compagner wrote:

> can't you run in deployment mode instead of development mode?
> then that shouldn't happen.
>
> I can see if we can backport it.
>
> johan
>

> On 2/1/07, beboris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> We have found a pretty weird situation with "too many open files" error
>> on
>> our alpha-testing site. Further analysis showed that on each page
refresh
>> the following resources get repeatedly obtained from the wicket's .jar
>> and
>> add to the number of open files:
>>    'wicket/ajax/wicket-ajax.js'
>>    'wicket/extensions/ajax/markup/html/modal/res/modal.css'
>>    'wicket/extensions/ajax/markup/html/modal/res/modal.js'
>>    'wicket/extensions/markup/html/tree/res/tree.css'
>>    'wicket/extensions/markup/html/tree/res/tree.js'
>>
>> Eventually (due to garbage collection?) the number of open files goes
>> down
>> again. But we wanted to know why those files stayed open in the first
>> place
>> and were not closed upon retrieving a resource.
>>
>> It looks like switching to the "deployment" mode from "development" one
>> would significantly reduce the peak numbers of the open files/streams
>> wicket .jar-s, and extracting resources from the .jar would reduce it
>> even
>> better. We were told that the original reason for files staying open is
>> Java bug (the fact that URLConnection doesnt have a .close), which
causes
>> those nasty results when combined with development mode trying to
monitor
>> [resource] files for changes and reloading them.
>>
>> We were also told that there is a workaround for that problem in SVN
>> somewhere, but it's probably not backported to 1.2.5 . I have 2
questions
>> in
>> that regard:
>> (1) Where can we find those workarounds in the code?
>> (2) Is it too much work to backport them to 1.2.5 so when it's released
>> it
>> doesn't contain the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob.
>> --

>> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services,
security?
>> easier.
>> Geronimo

security?