pros:

* free to call any method in the constructor like getpage(), urlfor(), etc.

* access to markup attributes in constructor as opposed to render time

* fail at component instantiation time rather then render time if there is a
hierarchy<->java mismatch - so you get a java line-precise error as opposed
to our error webpage

cons:

* code explosion
2.0: http://papernapkin.org/pastebin/view/4900
1.3: http://papernapkin.org/pastebin/view/4908

* hacks necessary for nontrivial components
GridView.populate()
http://papernapkin.org/pastebin/view/4902
notice fake1,fake2 parents necessary for child item instantiation and which
are later removed

* more limited in how the hierarchy is created since it MUST be created
top-down

* replacing components is less explicit.
1.3: a.replaceWith(new B());
2.0: new B(a.getParent(), a.getId());

-igor