ummm.....hell no. the big point of this is to get rid of having multiple
branches!

so what we will most likely do is drop 2.0

backport everything new and useful into 1.4 (or seems like even 1.3 since
you guys got such itchy fingers). at that point we will decide whether or
not we will make 1.3 or 1.4 the last java1.4 version, and from then on move
on to java5 with the older version being in _maintenance_ mode.

at least that is what i think we should do.

-igor

> Reverting the
> constructor change will probably cost me a few days, but the end it will
> probably be worth it. I have noticed recently a somewhat troubling
trend.
> You guys used to be very disciplined about adding features to 2.0 and
then
> backporting them to the other branches. Now it seems like new features
are
> developed in any branch and then maybe or maybe not ported to the
others.
> That's definitely a train wreck waiting to happen, and it is
understandably
> a source of misery for all of you. Dump it if you need to, your
collective
> happiness is more important to me :).

Thanks for supporting us.

> It would be great to have a definitive list of 2.0 features that will be
> lost, so I can plan ahead for any redesign if necessary. For example,
I've
> used generics (with mixed feelings) and covariance extensively, so these
> will probably be more painful to lose than the constructor change. Will
> these be jettisoned as well?

It's really only about the constructor change. The constructor change
is probably the primary reason why it is tough to maintain the
separate branches, as they are so different.

I started a discussion about generics, but unfortunately, I didn't
check that what I was proposing was actually possible. Turns out it
isn't, so it looks like the generics will stay in there as is.

So, if we would go on ditching 2.0, we would still have two separate
branches (and maybe we just still keep calling it 2.0, no preferences
at this time) where - ideally - the only difference is that one is
based on 1.4 and the other on 1.5.