I really don't understand what's the big deal here.

The method name can change if there is good reason for it.

What does it do? It renders a hidden placeholder with id same as
original component where the component would not be rendered.

How does it affect security? Why would it affect security at all?  The
component is not rendered. It's just that a small hidden placeholder
is put on the pace of component, so that it can be replaced by ajax
request.

How does it affect current applications? It shouldn't affect those in
any way. The setting is per component and it's off by default.

-Matej