Stateless pages are available even in 1.2, but much more limited.
Basically, when you have no callbacks, you're page will be stateless
and not kept in memory. You'd have to do everything with bookmarkable
pages, links and page parameters then.

In 1.3, you can use some callbacks while still keeping pages
stateless, e.g. using StatelessLink and StatelessForm. There's a
simple example showing this in wicket-examples:
org.apache.wicket.examples.stateless

In your case, if really most of your app is read-only, it's probably
worth using that. And finally, a big improvement in 1.3 over 1.2 is
that as long as users don't have a HttpSession assigned by the server,
and they are only accessing stateless pages, no session will be
created by Wicket either, giving you more options in clustering and
further decreasing the memory footprint.

It is possible to even further optimize bits by digging deeper in
Wicket, but for now, this should help quite a lot.

Eelco