Thanks Igor and I am curious. Why is it nasty in your opinion? Which parts? I
am open to trying other ways that I am not aware of. This is not how I
originally wanted to implement it but I have tried many ways so far
(different models on different components in the hierarchy,
nesting/inheriting models etc) and this is the closest to working so far.
Other ways I tried which seemed more elegant had more serious problems in
practice especially when compounding and nesting panels more times which I
need.

John