On 5/17/07, graemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

No, I still believe it would be quite trivial to write a Wicket builder
that
would make creating Wicket component interfaces much simpler in Groovy.
Something like Groovy's current SwingBuilder system:

http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2004/10/gdgroovy_basic_swingbuilder.html

I stand corrected.  I was under the assumption that a "builder" approach
would require that the Wicket API be rewritten in Groovy, as I thought you
were demonstrating during our initial discussions on a builder approach.

It is just about investing the time to build this. As to what you get by
using Grails and Wicket together, well you essentially get an ORM system
built right in that follows a convention-over-configuration approach and
supports dynamic finders and is built on Hibernate (http://grails.org/GORM
)

You also get support for Grails' entire plug-in eco-system including
things
like Quartz, Compass, XFire, Spring Remoting, Acegi etc. See
http://grails.org/Plugins

Thinking alike, I just posted something on this.

My only concern with the current implementation is that it requires a server
restart when you make any changes to the Wicket Application class or
components. This goes against the "Grails Way" which promotes agile,
iterative development and really ideally we would need to find a way, at
least in development mode, to refresh the Wicket Application instance when
the Groovy classes change so get automatic reloading

PS One correction is that Grails is not part of the RoR family or in
anyway
related to Rails or a port of Rails. It is built from the ground up on
solid
Java technologies like Spring & Hibernate

[Scratches head]...  OK, fine by me.

-jjk