thanks for the responses from eelco and mchack. i appreciate it. i guess
part of the problem is i dont understand enough html either :\. it seems
that you have implied you can put anything in a span tag (e.g. a form and a
label). i will look at the template more carefully. i bought the pro wicket
book and went through half of that, so hopefully when i'm done i will have
more advanced questions.

thanks again,

verbal

> is there a way to conditionally show certain content depending on the
java
> portion? one example would be that i have a main page. it displays some
> content and more importantly, a login box. i want to say "if they are
> already logged in, dont show the login box, but instead, show some text
that
> says the user is logged in". everything else on the page would be
different.
> one way i can do that is of course to create separate pages for it, but
> there will be a lot of html or code duplication. it is theoretically
> possible to do so by making your class hierarchy a certain way, but it
didnt
> seem natural to me. also, having this technique handy will be useful in
the
> future.

Basically the two different strategies you have is to either set the
visibility of components (or override isVisible) appropriately, or
build up the hierarchy dynamically. As an example of the latter, you
could have a are in your page you call top bar. When you construct the
page, you decide whether to add the top bar with the login panel, or
the top bar without (e.g. to show the panel that displays the logged
in user's name). The templates example in Wicket examples shows
something similar.