> Another question I am interested in is whether
> this is a windows only behaviour and if so why?

It happens on macOS as well. Don't know about Linux though.

> this could be circumvented by increasing the autosave interval.

But that does not solve the underlying issue.

> So what are your thoughts about this?

The question I't like to get answered is; why does it take
so long to write the save. Clearly here we have the CPU
bottlenecking the process. But why?

During Gameplay this is a problem as well, since the save might
take a minute or more depending on the CPU. I'd like to have
it the way it is in 8999 and investigate why it currently takes
so much time to save.

How does that affect network/internet games?

Here are some numbers for build 8999:

Lost Island has 51544 fields, with saving times:

Writing Scripting Data ... took 4944ms
Writing Scripting Data ... took 5062ms

Europe has 142137 fields, with saving times:

Writing Scripting Data ... took 38358ms
Writing Scripting Data ... took 41443ms

So Europe has 142% (2.7 times) more fields to save.
But the increase in time is 797% (8 times).

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1810062-territorial-calculations/+merge/361366
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch