Yes, often BSE for valence optics is even more demanding than BSE for XANES,
because
you have more "valence" (occupied) orbitals.

The basis of BSE is formed by the GGA-orbitals, and the size of the Hamiltonian
is
Number_of_valence_bands * Number_of_conduction_bands * Number_of_k-points

Eg, with 30 valence and 30 conduction bands and 100 k-points this gives a
matrix of
90000x90000, and many screened Coulomb-matrix elements, .....

Typically, we use 512 cores for such calculations .... and still it runs for
many days ...