--- El lun, 17/11/08, Platonides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

> De: Platonides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Asunto: Re: [Wiki-research-l] "Regular contributor"
> Para: wiki-research-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Fecha: lunes, 17 noviembre, 2008 9:42
> Felipe Ortega wrote:
> > I also have my doubts about the filtering conditions.
> For
> > instance, in eswiki, 'BOTpolicia' is not
> registered as such
> > and it's responsible for more than 90.000 edits,
> so far. On
> > the other hand, a famous user in eswiki (retired for
> this
> > moment, id=13770 to be precise)
>
> He has returned, ~500 edits this week ;)

Wow, this is getting interesting :D

> > Filtering by number of edits/hour or similar may
> require
> > a lot of time/resources, specially in larger
> Wikipedias,
> > (sorry, but for my thesis I'm mainly focused on
> the top-ten
> > Wikipedias :) ).
>
> The problem is that here you need the edits *per user*, not
> per page.
> I understand from the WikiXRay page that you're
> recreating the mediawiki
> tables.

Yeap, but only as an initial stage. Then I create some new
intermediate tables to speed up the data mining.

It'd just to query each user contributions and
> check the time
> difference.
> With indexes in place, you would get a time good enough.
>
> When it may get terribly slow is if applying to all users,
> as you would
> make the algorithm quadratic.

I agree, but then, we still would need some basic criteria to decide which
users to probe to identify hidden bots. I suppose a good starting
point would be looking for BOT patterns in the name ¿? Mmmm, or
perhaps directly with the number of revisions.

I will try to have a closer look at this after the thesis
(I need to plan my next "entertainments" :) ).

Cheers,

F.