Hello Brian,

Brian Mingus writes:
> I wouldn't go so far as to say nobody is working on these ideas. We
> recently submitted a project proposal to the Foundation along the
> lines of community documentation of scientific (and other) sources.

You are right to call that out -- and your proofs of concept for
documenting scientific sources are the best I know of, in the world of
open code.

And I believe AcaWiki is working with you now, yes?  I thought of your
project more as summary and literature-review, rather than a global
WikiCite... something that might one day delegate its citations,
primarily of scientific topics, to a universal WikiCite.  (Correct me
if I am wrong.)  And I don't think anyone is working on a
"wikitextrose" equivalent.

> To recap: the fundamental basis of this general idea is a centralized
> wiki that contains citation information that other wikis can then
> reference using something like a {{cite}} template or a simple link.
> The community can document the citation, the author, the book etc..
> Users can use this wiki as their personal bibliography as well, as
> collections of citations can be exported in arbitrary citation
> formats. This general plan would allow community aggregation of
> metadata and community documentation of sources along arbitrary
> dimensions (quality, trust, reliability, etc.). The hope is that such
> a resource would then expand on that wiki and across the projects into
> summarizations of collections of sources (lit reviews) that make
> navigating entire fields of literature easier and more reliable,
> getting you out of the trap of not being aware of the global context
> that a particular source sits in.

I like that formulation a lot.

> We continue to hope that the Foundation
> is willing to work with us to draw up a project proposal that works
> for them, and we have also offered some programming time (I have
> already put in hundreds of hours).

Which reminds me: we need to fix our project-proposal process.

This sounds like a promising project.  Did you ever post a version of
the above to strategy.wikimedia.org?  I thought that you were going to
work with AcaWiki in the short term and see what you had in common.

David, the Open Library plugin you mention also sounds excellent for
solving the larger "every citable source in the world" challenge.

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj