Jakob writes:
> there already *are* communities that collect and share bibliographic data

I would be happy if anyone does what I was describing; no point in
reinventing what already exists.  But I have not found it:

I mean a public collection of citations, with reader-editable
commentary and categorization, for published works.  Something that
Open Library could link to from each of its books, that arXiv.org and
PLoS could link to from each of its articles.   Something that, for
better or worse, Wikipedia articles could link to also, when they are
cited as sources.

Jodi Schneider <jodi.schnei...@deri.org> wrote:

> I think focusing on Wikimedia's citation needs is the most promising,
> especially if this is intended to be a WMF project.

Agreed.  That is clearly the place to start, as it was with Commons.

And, as with Commons, the project should be free to develop its own
scope, and be more than a servant project to the others.  That scope
may be grand (a collection of all educational freely licensed media; a
general collection of citations), but shouldn't keep us from getting
started now.

> As for mission -- yes -- let's talk about what problem we're trying to
> solve. Two central ones come to mind:
> 1. Improve verifiability by making it possible to start with a source and
> verify all claims made by referencing that source [1]
> 2. Make it easier for editors to give references, and readers to use them [2]
< others?  [3]

3. Enable commenting on sources, to discuss their reliability and
notability, in a shared place.  (Note the value of having a
multilingual discussion here: currently notions of notability and
reliability can change a great deal across language barriers)

4. Enable discussing splitting or merging sources, or providing
disambiguations when different people are confusingly using a single
citation to refer to more than one source.

<
> Some of the hacks and proposals are listed here:
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_related_to_citations
> Could you add other hacks, proposals, and conversations...?

Thanks for that link.

Sam.

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj