On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Chitu Okoli <chitu.ok...@concordia.ca> wrote:

> * A-ranked conferences in Information and Computing Sciences from
> http://lamp.infosys.deakin.edu.au/era/?page=cforsel10: This is the most
> exhaustive journal ranking exercise I have ever found anywhere.

With regards to John Lamps journal list, it is a copy of the *first*
ERA journal list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excellence_in_Research_for_Australia

There is a second ERA journal list being compiled for 2012.
Submissions closed yesterday, and review of ranking is now underway.

The journal list can be browsed via the website.

https://roci.arc.gov.au/

However there is no publicly download-able dataset available yet.

If anyone wants a copy of the second ERA journal list in xml or csv, I
can provide it offlist.

Public consultation about the ranking is open until April 4.

> Unfortunately, I like you have serious questions about the face validity of
> these rankings; I think they heavily overrate many conferences in my own
> field of information systems; I assume the same is true with other fields
> that I don't know so well. (My primary reservation with conference or
> journal rankings by professors is that I strongly suspect that one of the
> main criteria for their rankings is whether or not they have published in
> that outlet before.) Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that approaches
> this ranking in comprehensiveness.

One important point to note in regards to conferences in that journal
list is that conferences are only ranked for the disciplines of

* 08 Information and computer science
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/4C3249439D3285D6CA257418000470E3?opendocument

* 09 Engineering
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/050A7395E86A9719CA257418000477A2?opendocument

* 12 Built environment and design
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/B20002D4CAD6966DCA257418000498EA?opendocument

IMO the ranked conference list was useless in the 2010 ERA process and results.
I've yet to see any improvement in this area for the 2012 ERA.

--
John Vandenberg