On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:26 AM, René König <kont...@renekoenig.eu> wrote:

> On the other hand, according to Wikimedia stats, the English Wikiversity
> site has much more Views/hr (4,068) than the Russian one (271) and it
> also has much more articles (15,718 vs. 1,917).
> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikiversity/EN/
>
> So, I wonder what´s the reason for this discrepancy. Does anybody have
> an idea?
> Best,

Alexa statstics can be easily manipulated to a degree.  The discrepancy
could be as simple as having one or two users from Russia who have the Alexa
toolbar installed from Russia who visit regularly every day, whereas the
americans who visit don't have Alexa installed.  (Because the population
that tends to have the Alexa toolbar installed tends to be relatively self
selecting in terms of certain industries.)

Alexa data should always be taken with a huge grain of salt.  I was able to
push my own site up to the 2,500th most popular site in Australia meerly by
visiting it every day.

--
mobile: 0412183663
twitter: purplepopple