From: wiki-research-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wiki-research-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
WereSpielChequers
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:58 PM
To: Research into Wikimedia content and communities
Subject: Re: [Wiki-research-l] Are there any stats on activity of editors
compared to the population?

Hi Piotr,

You might make the assumption that the difference between 4 million and 16
million is largely editors who never get out of userspace, my experience is
that such users are relatively rare, or at least won't dominate that 12
million.

I'm fairly sure that there will be a number of different groups in that 12
million. Steve Walling, Aaron or Maryana may be able to help analyse or at
least explain them.

Significant groups in the 12 million will definitely include:

1 People who registered an account and tried but never successfully saved an
edit because when they looked they saw a wall of code and they don't do
html. The WMF is investing a lot of money in WYSIWYG editing software in the
hope that this will enable goodfaith but not very technical people to edit
Wikipedia.

2 Vandals since 2007. We have edit filters that are trying to dissuade
vandals from saving their first edit because it triggers  one of our tests
for probably being vandalism. These filters only came in during the last few
years and have been improved over time - so they are deterring a significant
proportion of recent badfaith editors from ever saving an edit.

3 Visitors from other wikis. One of the features of Single User Login is
that if you are logged in and you click on a link that takes you to another
wikimedia wiki, your account becomes active at that wiki even if you never
go near the edit button. My account is active on 92 wikis and I've edited in
rather less than half of them. I won't go into all the reasons why one might
visit other wikis, but if you see that an article you've written has
equivalents in several other languages I consider it human nature to click
on the links and look at the article. Even if you don't use Google
translate, the choice of image and the size of the paragraphs is often
enough to tell you whether someone has translated your work or started
afresh.

4 Editors whose articles have been deleted. About a quarter of new editors
start by creating a new article rather than by editing existing articles. A
large majority of such articles get deleted and their authors depart. If the
4 million is only measured on surviving edits to article space then there
will be many hundreds of thousands whose only article space edits have been
deleted.

5 Zombie accounts. We now have programs that prevent people opening accounts
that are overly similar to the names of existing editors, but before these
filters came in many editors would protect themselves from such
impersonation by creating such  "zombie accounts" themselves and marking
their userpage with a link to their main account.

6 Edit conflicts. Breaking news stories attract editors like moths to
flames, our article on Sarah Palin peaked at 25 edits per minute at one
point during the day she became John McCain's running mate (I don't think
anyone logs the number of edit conflicts). If you are a newbie trying to
edit a trending article by using that edit button on the top of the page
then you are guaranteed to get frustrated and leave. The regulars have
learned that busy pages are best edited one section at a time, and on a very
busy page there simply isn't time to edit the whole page before a section
edit is saved. Of course that could be easily resolved by disabling whole
page editing on busy pages, but I'm not expecting that anytime soon.

Another issue is that I believe that the 4 million are people who have one
undeleted edit to mainspace on the English Wikipedia since December 2004. If
so the 16 million may include those who haven't edited since December 2004.

I'm probably missing a few other variables, I'm afraid this is a complex
area, but I hope this gives you an idea of the problem.

WSC