Hi Richard,

Apart from Featured Article work, I suspect that a very large proportion of
our referencing is driven by Google search and latterly Google Books. There
have been a few schemes to give the more active editors accounts with
various reference sources - some Highbeam accounts were recently divvied
out, and a large proportion of us in the UK can get such subscriptions via
our libraries. But if the first phase of Wikipedia was people writing what
they knew, we are still largely in the second phase with most of the
sourcing done via the Internet.

It would be interesting to see if there were many takers for a training
session on using other sources, but with the majority of our editors, and
especially the content creators, being graduates, post graduates or current
undergraduates it would be a fair assumption that a very large proportion
of our editors know how to access journals, but it would be interesting to
find out whether they don't do so due to lack of time lack of access or
some other reason.

As for the idea that students use the pedia and professors disparage it,
that is of course something of a simplification, a few months ago I met
someone who'd been to a Cambridge meetup and been in the minority of
non-professors present. But Cambridge will of course be ahead of the game
in this sort of thing. I suspect the main issue here is conservatism, and
in a few years time Academics who are hostile to Wikipedia will be as
common as Academics who despise electronic calculators.

This issue of experts and Wikipedia is more complex. Wikipedians are
rightly suspicious of "experts" who claim that their innate knowledge
should override that of reliable sources. But experts who clearly know
their subject, can communicate it to a general audience and can furnish
sources to back up their content are usually well respected, especially if
they waive pseudonymity and use their userpage to link to their University
page. The areas where that doesn't quite work tend to be ones where
Academic views are contentious in real life. Climate change being an
extreme example.

Regards

WSC