For most of the faculty I know (a decent number, across a wide variety of
disciplines) there is no 'problem' with Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is a tertiary source (i.e. it's not data or an archival document
(primary) and it's not a report of research (secondary)…).

Student's in academically rigorous programs are being taught how to conduct and
work with original research (i.e. creating and working with primary sources).
As such, using tertiary sources of any kind is not acceptable -- they can't
cite textbooks, paper encyclopedias, or dictionaries for the same reasons (or
if they do they can be used only in particular, usually limited ways).

There is a certain irony to a thread that notes that many Wikipedian's don't
know how/when to use primary and secondary sources at the same time it is
complaining about educators not being willing to let students rely entirely on
a tertiary source (and hence not learn how to work with primary and secondary
sources).

It's not a case of sour grapes or "conservatism" -- it is a matter of different
goals.

…