Check out Michael Kummer's paper that looks at a similar topic ("contagion"
in pageviews among linked articles) from an econometrics perspective:
"Spillovers in Networks of User Generated Content – Evidence from 23
Natural Experiments on Wikipedia"

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  No, you can’t for reasons on privacy. See:
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Watching_pages#Privacy
>

> But, I concur with your theory that edits are contagious. I often find
> that when I get the notification that a watched page has changed, I go and
> look at the page. While I am there, I often spot a “little thing that needs
> doing”, which sometimes is just a simple single edit and other times
> initiates a marathon of editing activity for the next couple of days J
>

> If you want to test this theory, I think using at the set of editors of
> the page might be a pretty good approximation of the watchlist. A lot of
> people have the “add the pages and files I edit to my watchlist” set in
> their preferences (I know I do).
>

> For the purpose of declaring one edit as being contagious (that is, causes
> another edit), what criteria would you use? I would assume you need some
> time bounds here. I think there needs to be “kick-off” edits identified.
> These would be edits that occurred sufficiently long after the previous
> edit that contagion could not be factor. Then after the kick-off edit, you
> would be looking for one or more “reaction” edits that occurred fairly
> quickly after one another, suggesting a contagion based on watchlists. So
> it seems there are two time parameters: the kick-off threshold and the
> reaction threshold. I don’t think these are necessarily the same value
> (i.e. is there is some grey zone in-between where the edits can be
> categorised as neither kick-off nor reaction?).
>

> In terms of setting these threshold(s), you might need some real-life data
> to train on. So maybe you could start by asking if some editors would send
> you a copy of their watchlist and you could write a script that compared it
> with their edit history over the same time frame (plus a bit to cater for
> bursty-ness). From that you could come up with a set of edits that look
> like contagious ones and you could ask the editors to say “yes / no / don’t
> remember” to try to see if 1) contagion appears to be happening 2) what the
> time thresholds need to be. Then test it on a bigger set of data using edit
> history as a proxy for watchlists.
>

> Kerry
>

>  ------------------------------

Brian C. Keegan, Ph.D.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Lazer Lab
College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Northeastern University
Fellow, Institute for Quantitative Social Sciences, Harvard University
Affiliate, Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard Law School

b.kee...@neu.edu
www.brianckeegan.com
M: 617.803.6971
O: 617.373.7200