As one of the English Wikipedia's top content creators [1], let me
weigh in here with a shameless plug that I would like to present my
work at Wikimania this year and am hoping for sponsorship from the WMF
in order to do that.[2]

I agree heartily with Laura that
<quote>One of the things that really needs to be done is to develop a
list of inherently notable matching pairs and then see what the
patterns are, because general lists of notable women are unlikely to
answer the question of how real the systematic bias is.  Further,
gendered lists where the percentages of men and women present should
also be attained and the red links percentages for each gender should
also be looked at.</quote>

My corner of the Wikiverse is art, and I have been busily matching up
various lists of artists and have become well aware of a huge
difference between "documented artists" and "art market artists". I
find lots more women in the second group than the first group, and
there has been a lot of previous work done on the why of this gender
bias. This was in fact one of the main reasons for people to join the
recent Art&Feminism edit-a-thon. The gender bias in the world of art
museums is much easier to document and track, because it is so
overwhelmingly obvious. Pick any top art museum in the world and do a
"weenie count" [3]. The percentage of works by women actually hanging
in public display galleries is way less than 10%. The main reason is
of course that people want the biggest bang for their buck in any
situation, and art museum curators are no exception. They would rather
buy one Anthony van Dijk than 50 works by his lesser known male or
female contemporaries. If you prioritize any "would like to buy list"
that any art museum curator is holding at any given auction, the
percentage of female names on those lists will probably be zero. That
said, I have discovered that most art museums do have quality works by
women in their collections, but these are not on show. I have been
resurrecting these works wherever I find them virtually on Wikipedia
as a way to illustrate biographies on these artists.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-01-22/Special_report
[2] https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Women_on_Wikipedia
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_Girls