On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM, David Monniaux <david.monni...@free.fr>wrote:

> I do not find such books on female sports. In fact, if I look for a book
> on the French women's soccer team on Amazon, I find something...
> extracted from Wikipedia! (Recall that football is the most popular
> sport in France...)
>
> In short, for certain topics (e.g. male sports), there is a gazillion
> books, biographies, and other source material readily available, while
> for others (e.g. female sports) such sources are more difficult to find.
>
> What I would like to understand is how much the bias is caused by such
> imbalances in sources. A possible evaluation method would be to consider
> female and male personalities (e.g. writers) equal in notoriety (e.g.
> according to scholars from that field), and to compare the length and
> quality of the biographies. What do you think?

A couple of confounding factors:
(a) Historically many talented women writers have written as men (or using
a house pseudonym).

(b) Historically serials have bee consumed disproportionately by women and
books by men. Historically libraries index book content but not serial
content by subject. Thus material written for a female audience has lower
visibility, even to writers in the field, because it's so much harder to
find.

cheers
stuart