On Thu, Sep 18 2014, Pine W wrote:

> Yes, but supposedly phone survey companies are able to get representative
> samples of broad populations despite many people refusing to respond to
> phone surveys. If opt-in users were chosen using similar methods, could
> arguably representative data be obtained?

... Well, at least it could be representative of the opt in population,
and if that's an interesting enough population it could be worthwhile.

For example people who opt to donate during the yearly fund-drive could
be further invited to participate in page view tracking, say, and people
who've opted in to both conditions might be taken to be representative
of donors, who might be taken to be (vaguely) representative of the
general population.  The data from this group could be factored out
against other people who opt into page view tracking who aren't donors,
etc etc.  (Probably I've described something that's already been done,
or that can't be done; I'm not attached to the particular example!)

Further OT micro-rant about population research in free/open culture --

Although I'm very naive about Wikipedia research I've been wondering if
it would be possible to do a crowd-sourced pattern finding research on
Emacs use, combining ideas from:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RepetitionDetection
http://popcon.debian.org/

At least in the programming world, I think the "moral" thing to do is to
write programs that optimize repeated activities, and that there would
be a potentially huge gain to doing this on a population-wide basis
rather than on an individual basis.  Because despite what I said above
the first virtue of individual programmers is laziness!  We're perhaps
only "moral" at the population level.