Yes, drafts visible only to the user are different. I was thinking of
flagged revisions in reference to your idea that edits would first go live
only after a set period of time. This is basically flagged revisions with a
trivial extension that the flagged revision always be the latest revision
that is at least X minutes old.

We could also allow a time window (even 30 minutes) before edits went live
> after one is done editing (using above Ajax mechanism to track when editor
> open), experienced editors would not need to swoop in quite so fast on the
> work of new users, and the whole editing atmosphere would be more relaxed
> and welcoming.

I think the challenge with drafts visible only to the user is that they are
very likely to have a conflict and have to merge changes if they wait too
long between starting the draft and later committing it.

--
Scott Hale
Oxford Internet Institute