On 26 September 2014 11:43, Luca de Alfaro <l...@dealfaro.com> wrote:

> Saving drafts on the other hand could help avoid many conflicts on
> less-trafficked pages.
> Right now, on a page that is edited infrequently, this happens:
>
> - User A starts an edit
> - User A saves not to lose work, not quite done yet.  Resumes the edit.
> - User B (typically an editor) sees the edit by A, and sets to work
> polishing it.  Saves.
> - User A saves --> conflict
>
> The first edit by A "woke up" B, and led to the conflict.
> If we allowed saving drafts, the following would be more likely:
>
> - User A starts an edit
> - User A saves a draft, and continues the edit.
> - User A saves the edit.
> - User B (typically an editor) sees the edit by A, and sets to work
> polishing it.  Saves.
>
> The conflict would occur only if A had second-thoughts about the edit and
> continues work after saving it, which might happen, but les frequently.
>
> Of course saving drafts is also cumbersome to implement at scale (how long
> would they persist?  there would be clean up needed, etc; maybe they could
> persist for one week then be mailed back to the author and deleted?).

​Luca,

Yes, I agree. We're planning to add a locally-stored drafts​ feature to
VisualEditor, and hopefully we'll also find a way for that to work with
WikiEditor, to have a way for people to pause mid-edit. However, storing
these drafts on the server would pose some major legal issues that we are
keen to avoid.

​J.​
--
James D. Forrester