Greetings list,

I do something similar for the [[WP:STiki]] anti-vandalism service. I listen on IRC to determine new edits (en only) and then hit the API with "action=query" on a non-batch basis. My application is multi-threaded in order to keep up.

I asked along these lines in 2009 when it was initially authored. I was told it wouldn't be a problem, but one should set their user agent so that it provides a contact email and alludes to the benign impetus of all these requests. -AW

--
Andrew G. West, PhD
Research Scientist