From: WereSpielChequers [mailto:werespielchequ...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, 17 August 2015 3:41 PM
To: kerry.raym...@gmail.com; Research into Wikimedia content and communities
<wiki-research-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: [Wiki-research-l] Visual Editor experiment might have a problem ...

Hi Kerry,

there is an experiment going on that randomly opts half if new users into V/E
and leaves half using the classic editor. That should account for why one of
your newbies had been opted in but not the other.

Captcha when adding citations is a longstanding problem, we need Captcha on
account creation to keep the spam bots at bay, but somehow it also applies to
newbies adding external links as cites, so we have a software feature that
doesn't effect the vandals but instead targets the best of our newbies. My
suspicion is that if we could work out when that was introduced and then
compare it to subsequent recruitment and retention we would find that this was
one of the most damaging mistakes we've made.

Regards

Jonathan

On 17 Aug 2015, at 04:56, Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com