Pine, I would absolutely disagree with you about off-wiki transparency. Why
should a woman have to publicly disclose the contents of a thoroughly
disgusting sexual email for public entertainment because they reverted some
guy's edit. Why should a women be expected to provide details of an physical
unwanted contact at an event for other men to pontificate about?  That's what
transparency would mean.  The right of the 90% of Wikipedia contributors who
are men to get to decide if a woman has the right to be offended by these
things. Let's put it all out there in the open so everyone can get involved.

"Couldn't it just have been a friendly hug?". "So did his hand actually tweak
your nipple or just brush part of your breast?" And so on.

And of course anyone in the world with a web browser could watch on too, such
as the women's partner, her parents, her children, her colleagues. And of
course IPs and new accounts could come along and join in the conversation and
get involved too in the interrogation. "How lowcut was your dress? Did you have
a bra on?"

Transparency would not work off-wiki and I don't think it works on-wiki for
harassment issues. You might think it does because I suspect a lot of stuff
doesn't get reported on the public forums. The folks in private process (such
as oversight) probably see a lot of ugly stuff that the rest of us don't, or
the woman just walks away from Wikipedia because they don't know there are
private ways to report problems or they think it's easier just to walk away.

If you want to address diversity, I think you have to address the need for
privacy in complaints processes. Although I have only outlined issues relating
to women here, I am sure there are similar issues for people of other races,
other religions, other cultures and so on.

Kerry