Hi Kiril!

Thanks for all the patient and thoughtful clarifications and elaborations
:)  I left a couple of comments inline, below.

Good luck with your project! As you can tell, we are a curious and
thoughtful group here on wikiresearch-l. If you have methodological
questions in the future, please don't hesitate to ask them here.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM Kiril Simeonovski <
kiril.simeonov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> You have correctly deduced from the description that there will not be any
> interaction with editors and all the data for the research will be drawn
> from the publicly available edit histories. The most confusing part that
> gives impression of intervening is perhaps the "experiment", which
> conceptually differs in the social sciences from its more common meaning in
> a laboratory environment. That said, this research is not going to consume
> editor's time for surveys nor it is going to convert Wikipedia to a
> laboratory or ask people to change their behaviour.
>
> I came here with the announcement after creating the proposal on Meta and
> following the guidelines regarding research projects with the goal of
> getting some useful input from other researchers subscribed to the mailing
> list and learning how to administratively proceed with the proposal on Meta
> (What should be done next on Meta? Will there be an appointed WMF
> researcher to contact regarding this research?).

Putting your research proposal on Meta is best practice for all research
projects related to Wikimedia. It is not a required step, but it's useful
for increasing awareness of your project among the broader Wikimedia
communities (researchers and everyone else).

There is nothing else you need to do at this point, although we appreciate
it if you would keep your project page up to date as you perform your
research. When you're done, we always appreciate it if you link to any
preprints, demos, code repos, slide decks, etc from that page as well.

Your project won't automatically be assigned a WMF contact. The Wikimedia
Foundation itself does not officially monitor or screen new research
projects that are published on Meta, or review them for support. However,
if you believe your research furthers the goals of the Wikimedia Movement,
you might consider applying for a grant (example
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Misinformation_And_Its_Discontents:_Narrative_Recommendations_on_Wikipedia%27s_Vulnerabilities_and_Resilience>).

Individual WMF teams (including my team, Research) do occasionally partner
with external researchers
<https://research.wikimedia.org/collaborators.html> and those partnerships
can include access to non-public data (under a Non-Disclosure Agreement).
Some partnerships do involve funding, but this is not common. All
partnerships are at the discretion of the team manager. In the case of my
team, that manager is Leila Zia, Head of Research.

 Quick question: when you say "the guidelines regarding research projects"
above, what document are you referring to? There are a lot of these pages
in the Research namespace and they are not always up to date, unfortunately.

> My request for help from research community regarding this research will be
> mostly technical (e.g. smart random sampling of editors, existing tools for
> research purposes, etc.)

We can definitely help you with these questions! You can also post
questions related to data access and data infrastructure to the analytics
mailing list <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/analytics>.