Jalexander added a comment.

>>! In T798#14813, @Qgil wrote:
>>>! In T798#14803, @Jalexander wrote:
>> We would not be ok with Name, it still makes it sound like it is asking for
>> a real name.
>
> If "Name" appears without the asterisk, as an optional field, then nobody is
> forced to fill it.

Aye, if it's optional I have a lot less of a care, we have an optional field
for that on mediawiki too (though we don't actually have it on registration
anymore, just in your preferences).

>> To be honest it sounds like the 'best' move may just be to get rid of it but
>> if but if we really think we need it then possibly alternative
>> name/additional name is fine.
>
> Note that this is the field where non-Latin names and parenthesis can be
> added. You want to keep it.  :)

Nah, I just want them to be able to use those in the username ;) More
importantly that isn't too strongly on my radar just because there is nothing
really that lets them know that, they get an error if they put it into the
username field but there is no hint to them that they could use it in this
other field and I don't see a great way to explain that.

>> I also think it is very important that it be made optional (it is currently
>> required still, I tried).
>
> Thank you for testing! I just reopened {T63}.

Thanks!

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T798

REPLY HANDLER ACTIONS
  Reply to comment or attach files, or !close, !claim, !unsubscribe or !assign
<username>.

To: Jalexander
Cc: wikibugs-l, Qgil, Quiddity, greg, Dzahn, Aklapper, Jalexander, Legoktm,
jeremyb