On 22/05/12 13:47, Daniel Kinzler wrote:
I have created a first preliminary draft of how data items from the Wikidata
repository may be accessed and rendered on the client wiki, e.g. to make
infoboxes.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Inclusion_syntax

It would be great if you could have a look and let us know about any
unclarities, omissions, or other flaws - and of course about your ideas of how
to do this.

As could perhaps be guessed, I have a lot of comments :)

Including Items in an Article:

    {{#data-template:Infobox
    |data_item=q332211
    |data_param=stuff
    |foo=some value
    |stuff.color=green
    }}

I see no reason for creating a new parser function for inclusion of templates. Also, this syntax would not allow a template to draw data from more than one item, which would probably be a requirement in phase3.

Rather, I would include a template normally and use a parser function within the template to access the data.

So, instead of {{{data}}} there would be {{#data:}}, instead of {{{data.color}}} there would be {{#data:color}}, instead of {{{data.color(ACME_SURVEY_2010)}}} there would be {{#data:color|ref=ACME_SURVEY_2010}} and so on.

One advantage is that commonly used syntax is always used, instead of inventing new syntax (as for the reference in this example).

Another advantage, this way would make data usable directly in article text, if that is wanted.

The parser function should be able to override itself by template parameters - I believe it is possible to do this.

Unrelated to the above,

"This will return the value of the color property, in the page's content language, as plain text."

I see that there is need to also select desired content language (for example, a lot of infoboxes display name of the topic in the content language and in the topic's language(s)). This has the potential to introduce additional problems, of course.

Formatting Functions:

    {{#data-value:data.color}}

form
Specifies in what form rendered, that is, in which HTML element the value should be wrapped.

        span: wrap in <span> tags, use <span> tags for parts
        div: wrap in <div> tags, use <span> tags for parts
        li: wrap in <li> tags, use <span> tags for parts

I don't like this at all, since it limits the number of possibilities, introduces yet another syntax parallel to HTML.

Yet, I don't see anything much better. A half-baked idea is to leave it to the client wikis to create their data display templates that could be used to format data appropriately.

(I see Jérémie's email now, and see that we came independently to some of the same conclusions :) )

{{#data-values}}:

But this is of course an even worse problem.

    {{#data-link:data|the data item}}

Why not the usual interwiki syntax of [[wikidata:data|the data item]]?