> It would be possible and very flexible, and certainly more powerful than the
> current system. But we would loose the convenience of having one date, which
> we need for query answering (or we could default to the lower or upper
> bound, or the middle, but all of these are a bit arbitrary).

I believe it would be more profitable to build a query system which
always queries for the range. This would work for interval-only values
(see my comment on the wiki page) as well as for value with interval.

I don't see this as a big overhead. It is more a problem for ordering,
but internally, wikidata could store a "midpoint" value for intervals
where no explicit central value is given, and use these for ordering
purposes.

I think it would be great if the system is consistent for quantities,
dates, geographical longitude/latitude, etc.

Gregor