> Now, I don't think we need or want ranges as a data type at all (better have
> separate properties for the beginning and end).

I am afraid this will then put a heavy burden on users to enter,
proofread, and output values. Data input becomes dispersed, because
the value "18-25 cm length " has to be split and entered separately.
You have to write a custom output for each property then, and do all
the query logic (> lower, < upper) for each property in each Wikipedia
client.

I believe this is something that is healthy to do centrally.
I believe the concept of intervals exists because of that.

Gregor