I've had some discussions with people on the Mathematica Stack Exchange site
about the project. There is interest, but most people don't seem to have as
much free time as me. So I've decided just to start the project as a way to
organize and integrate my own code and code that I find. I'm just putting it
all in subpages of my Wikipedia user page for now. If I ever run into problems
I will retreat to a more constrained mechanism. I kicked things off last night
by adding some code for the "Solar cycle" article. The article has a nice chart
that shows the total solar irradiance measurements over the past few decades,
although it hasn't been updated in a few years. So I added some code to grab
the raw data from the World Radiation Center in Switzerland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wakebrdkid/Wikicode
http://meta.mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/1057/collaborative-packages-organized-like-wikipedia

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hoi Michael,
The one thing that makes it easy for you is that you speak English. For other
languages there are not the same amount and diversity of resources. While I
have my reservations about the feasibility of what Scott proposes, his proposal
is for all the Wikipedia languages and then some.

If he is able to achieve his thing "only" for the Wikipedia languages it will
be a roaring success in my eyes.
Thanks,      GerardM

On 13 July 2013 09:21, Michael Hale <hale.michael...@live.com> wrote:

Hi Scott,
I'm personally very interested in the future of online education, and I
appreciate your enthusiasm about the subject. However, I wonder if your energy
would be more productive if it was directed to an older project. Have you heard
of Wikiversity? It is already multilingual and doesn't have advertisements from
hosting on Wikia. However, even though I knew about Wikiversity when I was
still in high school, I've actually been surprised at how little I've used it
over the years. I think it is trying to solve a problem that I never
encountered. I think learning is one of the easiest things to do on the
internet, and it has been even easier in the post-Wikipedia era now that so
much of the most important information has been well summarized, consistently
formatted, and heavily linked. If I check my YouTube subscriptions right now, I
get free, full-length lectures in my feed from Berkeley, Stanford, MIT,
Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Technion, UPenn, IIT Bangalore, and
Cornell. I remember when MIT OpenCourseWare first came out, and it's been
incredible to see how e-learning has flourished since then. I have over a
hundred YouTube channels that are primarily educational. My needs are met if I
know what I'm looking for or if I just want to be surprised by some current,
stimulating educational content. The software library initiative we have been
discussing in this thread would be a hybrid of a wiki and a regular source
control system typically used in open source projects. Like I said, I can still
think of several reasons why it might not work, but I keep finding myself
thinking a few times every week that maybe we should try.