On 11/08/13 22:29, Tom Morris wrote:
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Markus Krötzsch
<mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org <mailto:mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org>>
wrote:

    Anyway, if you restrict yourself to tools that are installed by
    default on your system, then it will be difficult to do many
    interesting things with a 4.5G RDF file ;-) Seriously, the RDF dump
    is really meant specifically for tools that take RDF inputs. It is
    not very straightforward to encode all of Wikidata in triples, and
    it leads to some inconvenient constructions (especially a lot of
    reification). If you don't actually want to use an RDF tool and you
    are just interested in the data, then there would be easier ways of
    getting it.

A single fact per line seems like a pretty convenient format to me.
  What format do you recommend that's easier to process?

I'd suggest some custom format that at least keeps single data values in one line. For example, in RDF, you have to do two joins to find all items that have a property with a date in the year 2010. Even with a line-by-line format, you will not be able to grep this. So I think a less normalised representation would be nicer for direct text-based processing. For text-based processing, I would probably prefer a format where one statement is encoded on one line. But it really depends on what you want to do. Maybe you could also remove some data to obtain something that is easier to process.

Markus