On 12/08/13 17:56, Nicolas Torzec wrote:
With respect to the RDF export I'd advocate for:
1) an RDF format with one fact per line.
2) the use of a mature/proven RDF generation framework.

Optimizing too early based on a limited and/or biased view of the
potential use cases may not be a good idea in the long run.
I'd rather keep it simple and standard at the data publishing level, and
let consumers access data easily and optimize processing to their need.

RDF has several official, standardised syntaxes, and one of them is Turtle. Using it is not a form of optimisation, just a choice of syntax. Every tool I have ever used for serious RDF work (triple stores, libraries, even OWL tools) supports any of the standard RDF syntaxes *just as well*. I do see that there are some advantages in some formats and others in others (I agree with most arguments that have been put forward). But would it not be better to first take a look at the actual content rather than debating the syntactic formatting now? As I said, this is not the final syntax anyway, which will be created with different code in a different programming language.

Also, I should not have to run a preprocessing step for filtering out the
pieces of data that do not follow the standardŠ

To the best of our knowledge, there are no such pieces in the current dump. We should try to keep this conversation somewhat related to the actual Wikidata dump that is created by the current version of the Python script on github (I will also upload a dump again tomorrow; currently, you can only get the dump by running the script yourself). I know I suggested that one could parse Turtle in a robust way (which I still think one can) but I am not suggesting for a moment that this should be necessary for using Wikidata dumps in the future. I am committed to fix any error as it is found, but so far I don't get much input in that direction.

Note that I also understand the need for a format that groups every facts
about an subject into one record, and serialize them one record per line.
It sometime makes life easier for bulk processing of large datasets. But
that's a different discussion.

As I said: advantages and disadvantages. This is why we will probably have all desired formats at some time. But someone needs to start somewhere.

Markus

--
Nicolas Torzec.

On 8/12/13 1:49 AM, "Markus Krötzsch" <mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org>