I'm sorry Romaine, but there's no consensus on this. Plus, the problem
of Wikipedia-to-Commons links can be easily solved with a lua module
that calls for both the sitelink and the property Commonscat. I think
we did it on the Italian Wikipedia.

All the mess is about how to link Commonscats to Wikipedia articles. I
do think it's a good idea - not only because users familiar with
Commons also know best the needs of the project - and I'm sure there
is some practical solution (with a template, with a module, with G*d
know what) to solve this. Even if this will mean that, for the time
being, we will enable automatic call for sitelinks only for galleries
and not for categories.

Please, let's keep the discussion on
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Commons_links
and let's decide *together* how to tackle this problem, while avoiding
to "bother" the developers.

This is all our fault as a community, if we find ourselves in this
situation: we should've decided how to deal with this *before*
official launch of phase 1 on Commons. We're two weeks late now, and
we need to find a solution.

--
Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita