The point I wanted to make (following your example), is that the Wikidata
Query "All novels by Douglas Adams" is equivalent to the item
"Category:Novels by Douglas Adams" [1]. In other cases there will be even 3
items representing the same information: the wd query, the category item,
and a "list of..." item. So I'm just wondering if this complexity is really
needed for structural/technical reasons.

Maybe there is an easier way instead of linking to the wd query with a
"category's main query" property?

Cheers,
Micru

[1] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q8687492

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Lydia Pintscher <
lydia.pintsc...@wikimedia.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM, David Cuenca <dacu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to make you aware of this RFC started by Gerard:
> >
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Define_lists_on_both_%22Wikimedia_lists%22_and_%22Wikimedia_categories%22
> >
> > It is interesting because in the end, what is the difference between a
> list,
> > a category, and a query? Not much, really.
> >
> > I'm curious to know if the approach taken with queries will be the same
> as
> > the WDQ
> > http://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?&q=6573995
> >
> > Items like "List of..." or "Category:" would have some use, but the
> > development notes don't state if this is the intended path
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development/Queries
> >
> > Any thoughts about it?
>
> I've been trying to understand the RfC 3 times now and still fail. So
> I can't answer your questions unfortunately.
>
> The short and simplified version of how complex queries will work:
> * someone defines a query on a page in a special query namespace (eg
> "everything that has author = Douglas Adams")
> * the result of the query is a list of items matching the query
> * the Wikipedias can include the result of the query and visualize it
> in certain ways on a page. (eg the wikitext of the article "List of
> works by Douglas Adams" would have a call to include the query result
> from Wikidata)
>

> Cheers
> Lydia
>
> --
> Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
> Product Manager for Wikidata
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
> 10963 Berlin
> www.wikimedia.de

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Etiamsi omnes, ego non