Hi Jane,

No, I was not referring to books in particular, but of course it could be
applied to books as well, and to works of art, and to many things in
general.
I agree that the statement is valuable and that it should be included, but
I don't know how to represent it.

Following your examples, what I am trying to represent is not what you say,
but instead:
a) uncertainty: "it is hinted that Pete was the son of Klaus, but I have no
conclusive proof"
b) rebuttal: "Source A says that Pete was the younger brother of Klaus, I
can disprove that (but I cannot provide an alternative)"

Cheers,
Micru

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David,
> I assume you are referring to books. The same is true for works of
> art. The reason why these statements are still valuable is because it
> is an attribution based on grounds determined by someone somewhere and
> based on that loose statement alone are therefore considered of
> interest. You basically make a decision to include the statement or
> not, as you see fit.
>
> When it comes to people, one source may say "Pete was the son of
> Klaus", while another source says "Pete was the younger brother of
> Klaus". I think it's just a question of picking one on Wikidata to
> keep the family aspect of the relationship (whichever it is) intact,
> and sooner or later one or the other will be chosen. It's a wiki after
> all.
> Jane

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having some cases where a work has been attributed to an author by a
> > source, but the source itself says this attribution is "dubious", or it
> is
> > contesting a previous attributions as "spurious".
> >
> > As I see it, the rank of the statement is not deprecated (in fact it is
> > "normal" or even "preferred"), but I have no way of representing this
> > "claim uncertainty" or "claim rebuttal".
> >
> > Is there any hidden parameter for this or should it be addressed with a
> > qualifier?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non