On 10 June 2014 09:20, Markus Krötzsch <mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org> wrote:

> The class "city" is used for "relatively large and permanent human
> settlement[s]" [1], which does not say much (because the vagueness of
> "relatively"). Maybe we should even wonder if "city" is a good class to use
> in Wikidata. Saying that something has been awarded city status in the UK
> (Q1867820) has a clear meaning. Saying that something is a "human
> settlement" is also rather clear. But drawing the line between "village",
> "city" and "town" is quite tricky, and will probably never be done uniformly
> across the data.
>
> Conclusion: if you are looking for, say, human settlements with more than
> 100k inhabitants, then you should be searching for just that (which I think
> is basically what you also are saying below :-).

OSM has had a lot of problems with this as well, I think - labelling
something as a "city" is one of those very slippery terms that
everyone thinks is obvious but never quite agrees on what the obvious
bit is :-)

I wonder if we should think about how best to make sure people know
this. Perhaps there is a role for the "human-readable" pages to have
disambiguation-type notes on them? "If you are aiming to do a search
based on "instances of 'city'", we recommend you try "instances of
'human settlement'" instead..."

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk