Even where there is complete agreement that a human settlement is a 'city'
there is still usually a question over the population of that city. The
question is down to what to include.

A city in many cases is understood to include the contiguous built up area
but this will often extend far beyond the original administrative region
that bears the name. So we have the "City of London" (the central business
district, corresponding to the medieval and Roman city), "Greater London"
(The collection of contiguous urban boroughs that area part of the Greater
London administrative entity - ironically this does not include the "City
of London" but does include the "City of Westminster"), all the built up
areas out to the "Metropolitan green belt" (includes bits of every county
adjacent to Greater London), or all areas within commuting distance of
Central London (with the train services this includes a lot of area and it
is getting bigger as faster trains are deployed).

When do two cities become one? London and Westminster? Buda and Pest?
Minneapolis and St Paul? Dallas and Fort Worth? Kansas MI and Kansas KA?
Dusseldorf, Essen and Dortmund? Detroit and Windsor?

Joe