Markus,

Thanks for the thorough reply!

you can use SPARQL 1.1 transitive closure in queries (using "*" after
> properties), so you can find "all subclasses" there too. (You could also
> try this in Protege ...)

I had a feeling I was missing something basic.  (I'm also new to SPARQL.)
Using "*" after the property got me what I was looking for by default in
Protege.  That is,

SELECT ?subject
WHERE
{
   ?subject rdfs:subClassOf* <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q82586> .
}

-- with an asterisk after rdfs:subClassOf -- got me the transitive closure
and returned all subclasses of Q82586 / "lepton".

Should we maybe create an English label file for the classes? Descriptions
> too or just labels?

A file with English labels and descriptions for classes would be great and,
I think, address this use case.  Per your note, I suppose one would simply
concatenate that English terms file and wikidata-taxonomy.nt into a new .nt
file, then import that into Protege to explore the class hierarchy.
(Having every line in the ontology be self-contained in N3 is very
convenient!)

Regarding the pruned subset, I think the command-line approach in your
examples is enough for me to get started making my own.

I won't have time to experiment with these things for a few weeks, but I
will return to this then and let you know any interesting findings.

Cheers,
Eric