On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Scott MacLeod <
worlduniversityandsch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jane, Lydia and WikiDatans,
>
> These are great and helpful developments, which seem to be quite far along
> now.
>
> Jane and WikiDatans, can you point to similar helpful examples that would
> distinguish how WikiData Categories and what one can extract with Magnus'
> reasonator tool from what one can 'extract' with SemanticWiki from WikiData
> Categories?

Can everyone please stop with the "categories"? Wikidata has items and
properties. I assume you mean properties here.

As for tools to get to data,
* Reasonator [1] is for viewing a single item, and see related items
* WDQ [2] is for machine-readable querying of Wikidata; basically, what
SPARQL does on SMW
* Autolist [3] is for getting "clickable" results from WDQ, intersecting
results with Wikipedia (!) categories, and semi-automated editing

For more details on these, feel free to email me, or search my blog [4].

Cheers,
Magnus

[1] http://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/
[2] http://wdq.wmflabs.org/
[3] http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/autolist.html and
http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/autolist2.php
[4] http://magnusmanske.de/wordpress/

> Lydia, are there any emerging video tutorials (in the manner of some of
> Google's, for example) of tutorials about WikiData Categories and/or
> Wikidata itself, in terms of making it very easy to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Q17 is Japan, and if you are interested in people from Japan for example,
>> you can do this:
>> http://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?q=7463305
>>  (thanks to Magnus' reasonator tool that can extract category-like info
>> from Wikidata based on properties and qualifiers)
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Daniel Kinzler <
>> daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:

>>> which

>>> I couldn't find documentation for the multistream-index format at
>>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_dumps>. I can't make sense of it
>>> myself
>>> offhand. Perhaps ask on the wikitech-l list. I suppose the authority on

undefined