Thanks everyone for the comments so far!

I tend to agree with Markus on the value of these platforms for
engaging with the wider community. And while IRC obviously does not
present the same concerns as Twitter or Facebook, it is simply not as
widely known or used (especially by newcomers to FOSS) and therefore I
think it's useful to at least point to other (albeit non-open)
communication tools.

Another thing mentioned was not over-emphasizing these sites - a very
small update related to this new Main page is the inclusion of social
media icons; these could easily be done away with. I also think just
linking out to Wikidata:Social Media is not a bad compromise...

As for https & featured content - I can confirm what GerardM said
about tools and other featured content being only temporarily
showcased on the Main page (as of now, the WikiProject responsible for
updating the section is aiming for a new update every three weeks).
The WikiProject is also very much still in the stage of proposing
guidelines and workflows to govern the selection of content - while I
too worry that this might exclude a number of the tools, I encourage
people to propose a rule about not including non-https content if they
think this is an important principle:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Interesting_Content/Proposals

Finally, translations - once the new (English) Main page is launched,
it will be marked up using the Translate Extension. Language links
will continue pointing to the various versions of the old Main page;
different language communities will have to take it upon themselves to
update to the new page.