As I understand it, Freebase explicitly rejected inheritance through subclass relations. Therefore it has no class tree and indirect inheritance. It is "flat". Every item has to directly have all the values that pertain to it. Is that right?

Wikidata, on the other hand, follows OWL which uses subclasses to form a tree. Therefore, information is indirect and queries need to understand this. If a Property is disambiguating, it can be an instance of an Item which is ultimately a subclass of https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q6545185 "unique identifier". In a system like Wikidata which allows inheritance, a query needs to follow the tree (unlike Freebase which is flat and you don't follow any inference). It is possible that a query engine can cache the result of such an indirect inference, but the raw database does not need to "flatten" everything like Freebase. Is that OK?

- Jeff